Thursday, January 10, 2013

Healing Home

I've been meaning to write this, these thoughts, since I got home from Walla Walla. Thanksgiving giving holiday.
It's been hard because so much has happened in the last month or two.

I want to focus on the healing and change I've felt occur inside me.

I started seeing my psychologist after I got home to Brigham City but I started my healing in Walla Walla.

See the home I grew up in wasn't perfect, no ones is, but my mom did a good job teaching us how to be emotionally intelligent. I think the fastest way to explain this is to post a link to an article off of babycenter.com And just say that my mom did most, if not all, of the things it talks about. http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-to-raise-an-emotionally-intelligent-child_11946.bc

I always knew I could open up to my mom about anything. And usually I did, and this holiday season I finally I opened up completely. The support and love I received was exactly what i needed. The things she had to say were somewhat of a shock but also I physically felt my body let go. Let go of this huge burden.
Sometimes we take on burdens that we aren't needed to. Sometimes we feel guilty for things we had no control over. And sometimes we hold it in for years thinking we can handle it. That it doesn't need to be talked about. Once you do though your world can change for the better in the blink of an eye.
I opened up to the people that mattered. My mom, my bishop (local minister,) my husband, my God, and my psychologist. I have not bitten my nails since. Talking. I have always been a big believer in talking. I never knew that not talking about it held me back so much.

With the honesty and help from my husband we narrowed down other problems, other things that are major (not complete) sources to my stress and anxiety. With work and continued counseling we are now going to be able to exterminate the problems, or at least fight them back as best we can.

My psychologist says the biggest step is knowing and admitting our problems. And knowing whats going on inside ourselves during different difficult situations. I've always been a believer in this. My mom was good at getting us to express ourselves clearly, and in order to express ourselves clearly we must first figure out what's wrong. Through this process I have been introspective and open. Hence this blog. :) shrug

I know, humans being curious by nature, that everyone wants to know what the causes were but some thing's are meant to be more private than a public blog would allow.

I want, however, to express urgently that talking and getting support is key. We are social creatures. We NEED each other!
I was nervous to open up to my family and friends. Starting this blog opened the doors for me to be honest and reach out. Without it I don't think I would have gotten as much healing, this last thanksgiving, as I did.

Feel free to open up to me. Or at minimum the ones that love you! Don't let old things hold you back! You may just be surprised at the love and understanding you'll receive.

So a special thank you to my mom and all those who have reached back when I reached out! I will never forget your kindness and love.

I have more to talk about so never fear, I'm not done yet. :D
P.S Happy Birthday World's Greatest Mom!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment